Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Swarf 5ax & gouge problems

MIL-TFP-41

Is it me or has Mastercam left something out in a swarf 5 ax toolpath?

When looking through the toolpath parameters, there is a option for "Show toolpath before gouge check". This box is totally grayed out on the swarf 5 ax. I am getting some pretty bad gouges in my swarf toolpath, which is frustrating to say the least. I am not talking about floor gouges, but rather gouges between the upper & lower rails.

Now if I try a curve 5 ax toolpath, this option is not grayed out and if I do check this option, you can see mastercam highlight the exact areas that I am having my gouge problems....and it filters them out and no gouges on my part. (even if I don't check this option, it filters them out, but checking the box opened my eyes to a possable problem with using swarf in general)

I would just use the curve 5ax toolpath, but it means much of the time totally recreating geometry instead of just picking upper & lower rails. Many times its just not possible to use curve 5 ax.

So I guess my question is....Does Mastercam even process WALL (not floor) gouge checks with a swarf 5 ax toolpath?

Have you tried using the sync method for this toolpath. I use the point method and get very good results. If I just use upper and lower rails I get results I do not like. I go into anonther layer and copy my chains to that layer. I then create an equal number of points on the upper and lower rail. I then use the sync method for my selection rather than chains or entities. I then just follow what the screen ask me and go from there. The thing about this toolpath in my opinion is that it is trying to take the head from one point to another very quick and goes off the idea that the wall created by the chain is the control and everything is just space like for a trimming toolpath. To use this toolpath for doing liek a floor on a part I would use cruve 5 axis over swarf personally.

I think the answer to your question about the checking would have to come from CNC themselves and since I am not qualifed to answer that question I will keep my opinions to myself.

This is my opinion and is not fact use the infomration I give at your own caution. I offer this to help not hinder. Have a good day.

Thanks for your suggestions, but I still am not getting the results I am looking for using a swarf. I am thinking that my guess about the gouge checking for the walls in a swarf toolpath being non-existent is correct. Even on closer examination on the gouge check options, on curve 5ax its called "gouge processing". On the Swarf tab, its called "floor gouge processing".

I am still playing with this toolpath...much more of this & I will post it on the FTP & see what all you think.

Thanks again