Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do you set up tool assemblies?

BSmith23

We have ISCAR Mulit-Master and Tungaloy TungMeister shafts and milling heads.  I have never liked that MasterCam does not seem to support this idea of tool assemblies, simply just tools and toolholders (CAT, BT, HSK).  I want to be able to put together a tool where both the shaft number and the head number are listed on my set up sheets.  But as you may know, the tool numbers on both of these are very long, so trying to fit both in one field is next to impossible.  We currently make up separate tool lengths with the heads only defined, not the shafts.  But we do have the shaft lengths defined within our tool.  An example would be: 20mm 4-Flute R1.0 L=139.8 Tungaloy, and then in the Mfr. Tool Code would be: VED200L15.0R10-04S12 for the milling head.  So I'm curious what others do in this situation.  Thank you for any input.

11 minutes ago, BSmith23 said:

We have ISCAR Mulit-Master and Tungaloy TungMeister shafts and milling heads.  I have never liked that MasterCam does not seem to support this idea of tool assemblies, simply just tools and toolholders (CAT, BT, HSK).  I want to be able to put together a tool where both the shaft number and the head number are listed on my set up sheets.  But as you may know, the tool numbers on both of these are very long, so trying to fit both in one field is next to impossible.  We currently make up separate tool lengths with the heads only defined, not the shafts.  But we do have the shaft lengths defined within our tool.  An example would be: 20mm 4-Flute R1.0 L=139.8 Tungaloy, and then in the Mfr. Tool Code would be: VED200L15.0R10-04S12 for the milling head.  So I'm curious what others do in this situation.  Thank you for any input.

Are you using the stand alone tool library? We do tool assemblies, and I even typed in the mfr. tool code you gave and there is plenty of room for it. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are asking...or are you asking how to print that out? We use Varco Reports for our tool build sheets. Not sure how mastercam does it...

Yes, I am in the stand alone tool library.  I want the operator to be able to see the shaft mfr code and the head tool code both.  So in the instance I described, the shaft mfr code would be VSSD075L800S12UC.  If you try to put both on the same line, that makes it a very long code.  I will say, I have not tried to put both on the same line, only because I hate re-typing that stuff all the time LOL.

This is a screen shot of my Varco Reports tool build sheet. There are lots of fields you can add. I saw some that were about mfg codes and such, so I'm guessing you could add them...some of the other guys directed me to it when we upgraded how we used our tools, holders, extensions and machine simulation..

image.png.e8e02e30cd2b2de0795a48ada5429e62.png

That looks like what I need, but we just use Active Reports for our set up sheets.  Just tried using the shaft as a holder, but then I can't add my normal holder because then it replaces the shaft.  I can make the shaft a tool, but I'm not sure it will assemble it.  Getting ready to try that now.

Yeah I can't put 2 tools together as an assembly.

6 minutes ago, BSmith23 said:

That looks like what I need, but we just use Active Reports for our set up sheets.  Just tried using the shaft as a holder, but then I can't add my normal holder because then it replaces the shaft.  I can make the shaft a tool, but I'm not sure it will assemble it.  Getting ready to try that now.

The software is pretty cheap, it loads right into Mastercam, and Jim's always willing to help and do goto meetings anytime we can't figure out something on our own. Here's his email address if you have interest: [email protected]

• Like 1
On 8/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, BSmith23 said:

Yeah I can't put 2 tools together as an assembly.

In the integrated tool manager, you can right click > edit tool assembly, and build an assembly with multiple holders.