Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need solid fillet help

Code_Breaker

I placed a zip file on FTP mc9 called fillet_help.zip. It contains an mc9 solid file and a word doc to explain what I need.

I need a constant radius fillet between a curve-angular face and a straight edge. The will represent the radius of a cutter when it travel around the straight edge.

Thanks for your help.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

[ 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Code_Breaker ]

Code,

Try the file need_fillet_1 and see if this will work for you. I created geo on level 44 and extruded a boss. This is the only way I can think of at the moment. And sorry it's not zipped, just got this puter a couple days ago and I haven't got it on here yet.

HTH

Greg

Code I did this to show that Mastercam is the Solids Modeler that so many think it is not. The file is call CRAZY_FILLET.ZIP.

Take a look at it what I did on Level 43. That was to go and create a curve from the edge. I then created a 3d line from the start and finish of the created curve from before. I then make this my c-plane by making that nomral to that line. I then make sure the Z axis is facing the direction I want. I then created curves from soilds on the 2 edges you wanted them from. I then set the 2 vaule a the end of the line. This wwas I think -.2025 well I then squash those chain at -.1 so I know they are above the part. I then create a arc tanget to those 2 entites using tangent 2 entites. I then trim that to make the chian for the solid. I then do a solid using sweep and the 3d line create from before now you have to extend that line to above the place you are working os extend like .2 and shoudl be good for this part. Right about now you will be askign me about that arc that not in the same place a the 2 line well you need to set you Z at the same place they were -.1 not here is where alot of people get lost with the Z this is not relative to the top plane it is now realtive to the place you created the c-plnae and a dsitnace from there in a direction to make the geomenty you are going to make. Ok now you have your solid along the 2 edged you want but it is taller and wider than your part this is perfect. Now your part was easy but on hard parts works the same way. You need to create yourself some cutting shapes to make it fit the area you have there that is the 2 shapes you see one from the front and the other from the side again like I said this model was easy becuase you had these 2 views to create the cutting cetails but if where crazy details then you would just create the c-planes for doing the construction as mentioned above. This took my longer to tpye all fo this than do the acutally part. I spent this tiem becuase what would you do if you had no other program in which to do this or did not know how ot use one of the others program to creat this type of feature. I have made fillets like this for just about anything in soilds where the soild Fillet will not work this method most times will.

Sorry for the length but want others who may have seen this to see a Crazy way in which to apporach this probelm.

I did not do a boolean but you could just add this to the other model and be all one if you wanted or could leave them sperate. Oh yeah turn down the screen shading from .002 to something like .0005 or less if you got the computer to handle it beause it look gappy but it is not.

HTH

[ 06-09-2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Thanks Crazy,

Your explanation has given me the direction I needed. The only thing is that the fillet in the file doesn't continue down the edge, but builds a flat along side of it. I need to make it continue all the way down. You have given me enough info to correct the problem. Since I already have what I need for this project, I will attempt this in my spare time. Again, Thank you.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

PS

quote:

turn down the screen shading from .002 to something like .0005

What do you mean? Right now my setting in the Shading Settings dialog under chord height is .0001. Is there another place to change the setting you are referring to?

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

I found another way to do it using Mastercam.

Make a surface fillet using surf/edge.

Extend the surface .01 on the sides first and then extend to overhang the front. Extend the back .01 at a time until it goes past the intersections of the side of the fillet and arc curve on the back of the tangent boss taking care not to self intersect the surface..

Then on the flat sides of the boss, make a flat extrusion of the triangular flat surface.

Trim the extrusion to the extended surface you just made and mirror and boolean add.

The only problem with doing it this way would be that you might not be able to get a solid fillet to go on the new edge you just made. But you could just convert to surfaces and finish up the model and convert back to a solid body....or do other surface trims where needed...

Murlin teh loves surfaces....it all comes out in the wash smile.gif