Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Internet connection

G Caputo

We just went from an isdn connection to a cable connection where I work. The problem is my computer (xp pro, the only one) and one other computer (win 2000 pro) are having problems. I can go to msn's web page, but any link I click on 99% of the time does not work. I can't get to this forum or hardly any other place. All I get is the "the page cannot be displayed" error. They tried a registry cleaner on one of them, a spyware program thinking that could be the problem, and it didn't help. Our tech person has called the cable company and they didn't have a solution. Has anyone else seen this before? Any thoughts or ideas I could pass on to our tech? Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I want ot know more spec .

What routering ,firewall,proxy ,web browser .

Can you ftp ,what your internet security settings and so on

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They tried a registry cleaner on one of them, a spyware program thinking that could be the problem, and it didn't help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

You must disable PChealth settings before cleaning in XP

Best regards

I'll try and be a little more specific to the best of my ability. There are somewhere between 15-20 computers on the internet here (50 total networked together), all of them work except for the 2 that I mentioned. The router, firewall, proxy questions I have no idea. The web browser is the latest internet explorer.

The only ftp I have ever been to is the one on this site. I just typed in what appears on the address bar on my computer and it didn't work. The internet security setting is at medium. I also don't know if it is a static or dynamic ip. All computers are networked here using what I have heard them call a switch (?) (the hubs are gone and these are faster?), but I can go anywhere I have permission to on the network here with absolutely no problems. I know I'm not a whole lot of help, but I'm answering the best I can.

If you were able to go to that site, then it's likely a DNS issue. Do you have any DNS servers hardcoded for the properties of the network connections of those affected computers? Most broadband services use DHCP so you'd never need to hardcode DNS servers in. If that's not the case, maybe an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew would solve the problem.

start up->run type cmd

In prompt window

type :

Ipconfig /all (do not show here contents of teh command )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : *****

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : ***

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : ***

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : *********************************

Adapter #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ++++++++++++++++++++++++

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

~~~~~~~~~~~

Say only one thing :

Do you have DHCP enabled ?

Iskander,

I copied the info I had so far and gave it to our tech person. She were sitting at the win 2000 computer that is/was having problems. I guess there were some other issues with that computer from the get go, so she is just about done reformatting everything and installing the needed software on it. I do believe when she was reading the response from bulliness she said something about not having DHCP, but I could be wrong. I am just passing the info I get from you fine folks to her to see what she can come up. I am way to chicken to start playing with my computer here by myself.

Thanks guys for the help! After Julie read the thread on this forum it got her thinking differently from what she was thinking. It was something with the DNS numbers on my computer. The windows 2000 computer did get completely reformatted and is also better now too. It really had other issues that needed to be addressed anyway, so it was for the better. Again, a big thanks to you all. cheers.gifcheers.gif