Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Another Radeon Question

RandallP

Im new here and am looking for advise. I may be able to answer my question sifting through a bunch of previous topics, but I'd rather be more specific. I just purchased an HP ZD8000 laptop with the ATI Radeon X800 video card. Im running V9.1 MR0304 level 3. So far I dont like the video performance. I have turned the accelerator all the way down and everywhere in between with no good results. Can somebody give me an idea of what to do.

Hi Randall, I have a zd 7000 I purchased a few months ago. It has a NVIDA 5700 and it runs perfect with Mcam. I also have Autocad 06 and INventor. I havent had a lick of trouble until I loaded my Inventor 10. Inventor 9 ran great, but 10 will not run at all. This is what the tech told me, one of the issues is H.P. has some of thier own mods to the graphics card and the latest updates from NVIDA won't download to the laptop. Not sure about ATI, When the tech from my dealer contacts me with a solution I'll let you know what he says.

quote:

What other options besides Nvidia work good on laptops, using MasterCam?

Up to this point, nVIDIA is by far your safest bet.

quote:

Would an intergrated Intel 855 or 915 give me problems?

Intel's graphics chipsets are very entry-level and I don't recommend them for applications like CAD/CAM.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Man, ATI is the dead horse that won't decay. Ya know, you'd think that people in our industry would know by now ATI is the plague and should be avoided at ALL costs. ATI has been a problem since like V7... rolleyes.gif I'm thinking that's like WAY too long to be revisiting this issue every week. That's JMO.

Try this out for your ATI cards in version 9.

www.mcamnw.com/filetransf/dloads/gl.zip

Download the file and unzip to your mcam9 folder. After you do this start up Mastercam and try toggling the "enable openGL® drawing" setting within Screen > Configure > Screen tab. It may work better on or off depending on your hardware, but these openGL files should help regardless.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Actually ATI is a good portion of the problem. Their OpenGL implementation is the source of the problem, not all of the problem, but a good portion of it.

Just sayin'... biggrin.giftongue.gif

There was a time when I would put the blame on ATI, but no longer. ATI's products are now well proven in the cad industry, Solidworks works great on a ATI card, along with many other packages.

What Mastercam could/should do is start certifing hardware (much like Solidworks does) in order for users to get max. performance. The most you can find for Mastercam is some very dated (sept 2k3) "recommened hardware" lists.

Side note...I have found that mastercam can be very picky bout the video driver that you use, nVidia or not.