Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tombstone programming to center & indexing

Chris Rizzo

I'm transfering a vice-job to a tombstone affair on a verticle with a rotary, and have a few questions.

-4th axis will be used primarily as an indexer, however each part will now get a single 4/5 axis toolpath for a little cleanup.

- With a "regular" rotary part I'm comfortable using axis of rotation as the Z origin. What's the procedure for combination tomstone/rotary parts?

- I've been running this part for years in regular vices, and am hesitant about re-programming to different views and origins (50+ ops, 2d/3d toolpaths, highfeed and non-highfeed, lots of cavities and clearance moves). I'd like to stick with my existing XYZ offset values for indexing work, but then switch to axis of rotation for Z origin on 4/5 toolpaths.

maybe I just answered my own questions. but feedback is always appreciated. smile.gif

----------------------------------------------------

What's the procedure for combination tomstone/rotary parts?

----------------------------------------------------

Same. I always use center of rotation as z0.0 and it works well with the barely modified mpfan.pst. I only use Work Offsets for very fine adjustment for variation from each side of the tombstone if there is any variation at all. Good luck ! cheers.gif

What's the reason for the tombstone? If you want to use it for multiple parts you can use the same part "0" points as the vises but add the "A" to the fixture offsets. Just sub out the tool paths and the programs will be very near the same size. If you're looking to machine multiple surfaces you may be better off going from the rotation plane. OR you can write a part coordinate rotation sub and still use your vised part origin. (That's what I do on our horizontals). If you choose the third option shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you mine though you'll have to modify it for a verticle.