Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Poll : do you work from a network location or local (c:) drive?

Chris Rizzo

only things with networks would be a slow in performance as far ss reading and saving files..plus insome instances if I haev a file open across a network share it tends to slow down the performance of my pc while using other applications..My work isnt set up on the greatest network layout as well either..lol..

I used to work from the network but I converted back to local. The reason being, the network backs up my local drive everyday. When working off the network if I accidentally overwrite a file I have to go back to the tape backups to retreive what I can. Working locally if the same thing happens I can get the server version back. It adds one more backup to the system. You can never have too many backups.

Working on a network, but only source files and posted files are shared. Tool libraries, post processors, etc are all local.

We keep all source files and posted NC code in zip files on one of the computers, separated by customer.

All this is backed up to another computer daily, and the entire network to DVD weekly.

Hello all,

What we do is have all the .md, .cd, .pst on the server and we save them to our own computer at the start of our shifts by using a small batch file we made. That way, everybody works from the same files but if someone screws it up, it is only screwed up on his computer.

tool lib files are on the server and we work from them as all programmers can ad tools to the library.

Guys who are working with everything on a network like myself. There was an update to the Lathe tool librarys what happened to me is I updated to MR1 sp2 from the download on the MC website. It updated the tool library on the local drive but not on the network. I had to copy the NEW tool library from the local to my server to fix the BUG that was in the Lathe tool Library.

Just thought this would be of interest cheers.gif