Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spindle and Toolholder Question

I have a HAAS VF-4 and one of my operations is a 60 Deg. Chamfer Mill that contours a line to leave a 30 Deg. Chamfer in the material for an insert to sit against. The problem I am having is that after running this tool, the tool holder seems to get stuck in the spindle and I have had to use a pry bar to get it out twice already. I have changed tool holders and still get the same thing. The first was a 3/8" Set Screw Tool holder (which I have 2 of and only the one for this tool gets stuck) and the second is a ER-25 collet style holder which I have used before with no problem, but now it is getting stuck. Any ideas of why this is happening?? mad.gif

Is the spindle hot? Tools sticking in the spindle are often a result of either the tool or the spindle getting very warm and expanding to the point that the two don't want to come apart. Make sure that the spindle cooling is working properly and that the spindle taper and toolholder are clean. An old Fadal guy's trick was to coat the toolholder tapers with Pam cooking spray to assist in removal

C

What tool is running before it? Is the tool before running at a high rpm? Sometimes the spindle will heat up a little for the tool before. When the machine changes tools the next tool is cooler cause the taper to grab a little tighter around the holder. I have this problem with my VF10's.

The tool before it is a 1/8 in endmill running at 7500 RPM. I talked to tech support for a HAAS dealer and the guy told me to take all the tool holders out and clean them with either laquer thinner or mineral spirits and then put a thin layer of lithium grease on the tool holder taper and in the spindle. So, I did that and we will see what happens.

keeping the spindle surface and tool holders clean is important in any mill, don't let knicks or dents get on toolholder. haas don't have a spindle cooler, they use the flood coolant around spindle to cool it, it other words dry maching the spindle really warm up. haas are cheaper for a reason-cutting corners on the machine.

• 2 months later...

We had problems like that with our VF-6s, and HAAS kept telling us it was "hot spindle," and to grease the pull stud, put the tool in and out a few times to work the lithium grease in.

It kept on happening anyway. Finally the HAAS repairmen had to come out and adjust the tension on the device that makes the large ball bearings clamp on the pull studs. That solved it for us.

Hank