Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc /Makino riggid tapping

DavidB

I have Makino machines here that need a M135 before the tapping cycle (G84).

I did a program for a mate on his Fanuc 16i it needs a M29 to sync the spindle.

Why is the coding different?

Is it a Makino thing?

Is the M29 standard for Fanuc and Makino change it to M135 for there Pro3 controllers?

Thanks

Guest SAIPEM

Rigid Tapping has two components that control this on a Fanuc.

1) The PMC

2) Parameter Settings

The PMC for every Fanuc is written by the Machine Tool Manufacturer.

The PMC is what is used to establish the Miscellaneous Function Code (M-Codes) among many other things.

Parameters may also exist that should allow you to Rigid Tap without the M-Code.

Fadal's manual shows that you that an M-Code is required for Rigid Tapping.

It isn't.

Simply output without turning on the spindle with an M03.

G84 G98 X0.0 Y0.0 Z-0.75 R0.5 S800 F40.0

I'm willing to bet that you may be able to do it in a similar fashion.

Consult your parameter manual.

In the Fanuc manual for the 16i it says G84 is tapping and M29 before the G84 is rigid tapping.

The Makino book says G84 standard tapping (G84) for floating holder (G74) for reverse tapping.

M135 is the rigid tapping command.

M29 on the Makino is Unconditional power off

Somebody here gave me a little lesson some years ago (can't remember who) that G codes are control specific and M codes are machine manufacturer specific. That's why even though it might be the same control you need different M codes to accomplish the same task...

Hope it makes sense... wink.gif

I just thought a standard function like rigid tapping should be the same on all controllers of the same brand. That would make sence and stop us programmers going grey biggrin.gif

Like G81 is the same on all fanuc controllers so why cant G84 or another G code for rigid tapping common to all Fanuc controllers?

I've used M29 and M135 on Makino (depending on age). M29 works for most Fanucs... but then again theres also M109 (Niigata), M105, .....all Fanuc controls.

quote:

Somebody here gave me a little lesson some years ago (can't remember who) that G codes are control specific and M codes are machine manufacturer specific.

Its 'generally accepted' but not necessarily. There are some G codes specific to machines as well even though the controls are the "same"....

cheers.gif