Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What coolant do you use?

bhayden10

Good Morning all.

We have been using Castrol Clearedge vs6502 coolant for a couple years. (500.00 for 55 gal but going up) It was half the cost of Trim sol that we previously used. No major problems with it other than it doesn't like tapping stainless on the lathes. Our supplier just lost the contract to sell it so I was curious what others use since we may be looking for something different. Thanks in advance for your input.

We use Blaser here too. Absolutely love it!! We used Cimcool before. The Cimcool left a sticky residue on our tools/machines. The Blaser leaves an oil like coating that wipes off VERY easily and keeps stuff from rusting.

Have a Blaser Rep come out and talk to you. You probably never knew the "ART" to keeping a coolant lasting a long time and actually how it works. Pretty interesting.

Trim-Sol. Best of the best, so I have been told. Even the distributor for Valcool (which is what we used to use...hated that sticky feeling and always oily) told me that Valcool is crap and Trim-Sol is the best on the market.

Trim-Sol also had no strong odor of any type and never leaves a sticky goo on the machine after a day or two or three...and no oily feeling to the touch.

I agree. I personally love the smell, and like someone else said, its easy on the skin. It also has a ZERO health rating, and that is too Swiss standards which are tougher than US standards.

It is initially pretty expensive. About $800 for a 55gal drum (It depends on which coolant you choose to fit your application) plus you have to buy the Jet Mixer, which precisely mixes the coolant and water which is about $1000.

Whats also nice about Blaser, others may do this as well, is that if you buy a new machine, they will fill the coolant for FREE!!

quote:

plus you have to buy the Jet Mixer, which precisely mixes the coolant and water which is about $1000.

Bull, don't let tham sell that to you, unless of course you want it. You can buy a regular mixer for less than half that and it works fine. Doing it for over 3 years.

All Blaser here. We usually spring the xtra couple of bucks for the 4000 strong. Anyone using the Blaser way oil? I'm thinking of switching over to it, supposedly sulpher free and very "sump friendly", and easy skimming.

A pissing match just started on another forum about synthetic vs. mineral. rolleyes.gif

I can't believe how many people like Blazer....we used it for 4 or so years. Thing I noticed about it was an incredible amout of buildup on the enclosure of the machines...it would stick then dry then in a few months it was like 1/4" think in the tough to clean corners of the machine. Then it started to get into the toolchangers & gummed those up. It also stuck to chips like crazy & made chip disposal more like coolant disposal. We used refractometers & kept the mixture no more than 7~8%, so I don't think it was too thick. We skimmed the tanks of way lube (still do) once a week & kept good care of it...but eventually it would wind up seperating on us.

Finally we tried a brand call Ho-Cut...

http://www.houghtonintl.com/content/view/176/930/

Much less $$$ than Blazer & it does not go bad...some machines have been running it for more than 3 years without changing & they still don't smell like an outhouse in August...bout all we do is skim the tanks once a week & thats it.

quote:

Much less $$$ than Blazer & it does not go bad...some machines have been running it for more than 3 years without changing & they still don't smell like an outhouse in August...bout all we do is skim the tanks once a week & thats it.

I wouldn't stick my hands in anything that's been in a tank that long. You're not telling me there is not build of bacteriain there, won't buy it for a second.

As far as Blaser cauing problems, well when you put something in a machine for 3 years and don't do much with it, I can understand why you h ad problems. You do have to maintain your mixture to the correct dilution rate and it will not gunk up on you. If you premix it, it will not gunk up on you.

I'd be curious to see the lubricity of 3 year old coolant in some of the aggressive cuts I take, if your coolant starts to steam, you gonna have problems with tool life for sure. wink.gif