Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT / Control - Hard milling machine

3rdstring

My boss is currently researching a machine to do hard milling. Figure 60-65 Rc A2, M2, D2 & M4.

The machine he is looking at now is a Harding VMC 760XP3 that comes with eiter a Fanuc 18i or a Heidenhan iTNC 530 control. The sales rep was kinda pushing the iTNC control.

At one time we had an OLD Heidenhain control on a bridgeport knee mill, but it was dificult to get parts & service for the machine then, the rep says the service on the Heidenhain is much better now.

My question, Is the Heidenhain control better than the Fanuc 18i?

Is there a better machine out their for high precision hard milling (.0002 total tolerance)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Personally I'd do the Fanuc but that's just me. From an operator availability standpoint, Fanuc owns 70% or better of the COntrol Market, Heid..., well, let;s just say I've seen a FEW in the hundreds of shops I've been into over the years, and I mean VERY FEW.

Fanuc options WILL cost you more, but if you them on the machine from the factory, they cost a bit less, plus you can get the Machine Tool Dealer to kick in some features for you.

Froma Post Processor standpoint, Fanuc beats EVERYTHING hands down. Very easy to configure, tweek, etc... Heid... well it's a conversational type thing... No bueno IMHO.

Makino, Yasda, Kitamura, Mori Seiki ('cept for that damn CRAPPS interface). Those are my favorites

JM2C

Makino Makino Makino. The SGI.3 and SGI.4 make the machine sing. We hardmill on a daily basis and the Machine is a joy to work on. We build small precision fluidic molds, and we run a whole lot of .4 -.8 mm ball mills cutting small holes and surfaces in S-7 55-57 Rc that we used to edm.

Being the new kid here at an Okuma dealer I cant vouch

for this machine tool without hands on experience.

But if you really want the (as chrism says) cats-xxxx

of hardmilling machines, Yasda will beat all. Hands down.

JM.25C

PEACE biggrin.gif

So hardmill what is "THE" okuma controller now? OSP7000, or is there something newer/faster/stronger? Have you done much testing? Are you using "HIGH NURBS" in your testing? I always liked Okuma machines, very, very well built machines, and that's not even factoring in their fairly reasonable price.

I really, really like Makino machines, but if you've ever seen a roeders or a yasda actually being pushed... Quite amazing!

We have the Heidenhan iTNC 530 control on one machine and have a five axis machine on the way with it. We also have a 430, all these are on Mikron machines. If you get all the bells and whistles you need I like the Fanuc becuase I know it well, and I love the power of Macro B. Although a don't know how applicable that is in your case. The Heidenhan iTNC 530 control is VERY good at hard milling applications and very simple to use. There are no options on the Heidenhan eveything comes standard atleast on our machines. Either one is a solid choice and the MP posts work great.

HTH

makino's and okuma's for hardmilling....

the maho's and tnc controllers are ok and get the job done but with limits on the conversational programming ...the heid post might still have some bugs in them ..talk to alfred freibman on here from melbourne as he made up a post for a maho deckel 80p for precision cam drives in brisbane about 3 yrs ago

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makino, Yasda, Kitamura, Mori Seiki

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!!! You forget bout me already ??

Lets not leave out Okuma

Ya'll forgot about Roku-Roku. smile.gif

And I'd take a Fanuc control over a Heidenhan without even thinking twice about it.

first of all our you looking for an inexspensive machine? YCM is an excellent machine for the money Fanuc control all the bells and whistles!

Okuam, Mori, Makino, all great with right spindle options and way configuration.

To HARDMILL

Why would you want to put a Fanuc control on an OKUMA I like both controls but an okuma control on the okuma is your best bet.

quote:

Oh one other thing for hard milling there is an okuma option know one seems to use and I guarante it will impress everyone!

It is MOP tool most dont know how to use it but I think it is the single best option of any machine tool builder

What is MOP? I looked on Okumas website & didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Hardmill (Mr Okuma Rep wink.gif ) is there any info out there on that?

Mop tool does 3 things

Air cut reduction

load monitoring

adaptive feed control

You run several no load programs for each axis prior to setting up your cutting data

each tool has multiple setting pages

for pocketing, contouring, diffrent types of cutting applications. Then you can group it in material types also. It will prevent chip thinning, insert life increases and run time increases. I have set it up at customers several times on average tool life has increased 15 to 30 percent, and run time decreased on average 26 percent. They have AE sensors on machines sold in japan Acustic emissions it listens to the cut instead of monitoring the load they took it from there cnc grinder balance technology I beleive. Great option may not be field retrofitable.