Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Turning offset

DavidB

Hi huys two questions.

1, Is it possible in Mastercam to turn a diameter offset from X0 or is a 4 jaw the only option? I need to turn a diameter 35mm offset from the bar stock.

I can see that the X axis would have to move quickly to turn an offset diameter if it's possible.

2, Can an Integrex or Macturn turn offset diameters? Or is a 4 jaw required?

Thanks in advance cheers.gif

Well depending on the part and the length of the material and how much you are talking about I have done it with center drilled position and dead centers. I have also done it with split bushing bored to the throw amount and machined them that way as well. Say it is a 2" dia you make a 4 " dia bushing then bore a set of soft pie jaws to fit the 4" dia. Put your offset in the bushing then split it on the small side. Now you have the ability to make just about anything with a cam in it. Also if you did it right you could use features off of the part to time features to the cam or shift.

The other method is to put flats on excess of materail to reference your center drilled holes to. Then you got a flat and a circle to referecne your center drilled holes to. You could do as many lobs or cams as you need if you had the room. I have done 5 shifts this way and keep everything within .001 to each other. When you are done you grab your machine areas and machine off the excess.

HTH

Material is 7" Dia x 14" long 15-5PH S.S

I need to turn a 4" dia X 4" long spigot 35mm offset from the centre line of the stock.

Once I have this offset Dia I will turn the blank around and hold on the offset dia in a 3 jaw chuck to machine the remander of the billet.

David,

We turn eccentric diameters here, but the material is quite a bit smaller. We have two sets of centers on each end of the piece, one set on center, the other set at the eccentric distance. We turn the entire piece like usual, then turn the eccentric between centers. I wouldn't recommend this for you with the size of your material. If your control has it, polygonal turning might help you.