Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hi all, got to use X for the first time!

kunfuzed

Finally after a couple year break of doing strictly manual machining, I'm back at a shop using Mastercam! Anyways my new employer is about to upgrade to X and I've got a few ?'s if no one minds. First, after starting a basic class on X, I noticed that drawing geometry takes quite a bit of getting used to, and I was wondering how those who have learned X by now would compare their own speed to 9.1? Also I was curious if anyone new of a way to turn on an "old school" menu kinda like Autocad used to let you do in later versions. I find that I really miss that side menu, using key strokes and the ability to back up using the Esc key. But I'm sure like any other software it wil just take some time. Thanks in advance...

Chris

If you go to the folder mastercam is installed in,

there is a folder named "documentation"

typically, C:mcamxdocumentation

There are boatloads of PDF's in there to help newbies get started, in particular

C:mcamxdocumentationV92XFunctions.pdf.

If you got the MR2, 2 disk CDROM package, the second disc has a bunch of videos. I strongly recommend taking an hour or so to watch them.

If you don't have that disc, you can watch or download them from here.

X is completely a complete new interface. As an old V9 user, you are going to get confused and frustrated very quickly if you just jump in and

go to work. Spend to time with the videos and training DOC's and your transition to X will be

much easier.

I have been using the Mastercam X mill tutorial from In House Solutions. It has made the switch from V9 to X a lot easier. There are also many other books and CD-Roms that can help. I also went to school and used books to learn V9. To me it has definately been worth the investment. As you probably know this forum is also a very powerful tool for learning.

Im new at X as well and its been about 4 months since the transition...speed has greatly exceeded that of V9 by twice when modelling and toolpathing...sure i had my complaints and banged my head against the moniter many times .....but i have to confess im flying now ...give yourself the time and patience to walk it through...dem pretty little icons up there do more than just twinkle wink.gif

quote:

speed has greatly exceeded that of V9 by twice when modelling and toolpathing.

As was repeated many times over when X came out.

Seat time, Seat time, Seat time.

Little while longer and then try going back to V9 Jack.

You'll hate it

wink.gif

One thing that will definately help you is: some people may not know but, in X-MR2 they brought back the power keys. For whatever reason they have the default set to off so you'll have to turn it on.

To turn it on simply right click on the screen scroll down to autocurser and check off Enable power keys. This will allow you to use for example "C" for selecting center of an arc or "M" for midpoint etc.

just like the previous versions. also check out V92XFunctions.pdf in your documentation folder for a cross referance For V9 to X functionality.

Thanks guys! The boss said it'll be here Wednesday... can't wait! I'm afraid I'm going to have to get used to it quickly since our lead guy left last week, and now all of the more complex work that requires CAM has fallen to me, and of course everything is due last week. And I've only worked here a month!

... I'm definately with camgeneration on the side-menu... think I'll miss that.

I am real careful about what i install on my computers, but it sounds like it wouldn't take much for mastercam to fine tune and debug, and offer it to all its customers. It was a real advantage of v9 over the other software interfaces. you could with minimum movement of the mouse go thru several layers very quickly.

But thanks Colin for the info.

Kim May (Mr.)

CAM Generation.