Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Potential problem with future releases of MC

Thad

From another thread...

quote:

You need to open the file(s) in X2, go to File/Save, and select the 'Options' button in the Save dialog in order to choose 'X1'.

Make sure you save it somewhere different from the file's current location so you can keep track of which files are for X and which are for X2.

The part I have put in bold is the part I'm concerned with. As new versions of MC come out, figuring out what version a particular file is is going to be a real pain. Unless you remember what year the various versions came out, it's going to be trial and error as we open up older files. Not only with .MCX files, but .tools, .operations, .config, etc. In past versions, theses have had a different naming scheme. I have already had problems keeping things straight in my own archiving attempts to backup older libraries, config files, etc.

Has CNC Software taken this into consideration and have a plan for future releases? I think it's worth looking into.

Thad

Thad,

Maybe I am just being to simplistic here.

First off, I don't see the point of taking a file backwards if you are up to date on your software.

Secondly, what differece does it make what version it came out of, if the latest version will open it?

Other softwares maintain their extensions regardless of the released version, I suppose I am wondering what the differenc here might be?

quote:

Other softwares maintain their extensions regardless of the released version, I suppose I am wondering what the differenc here might be?

OK, perhaps I didn't think it through enough before posting this. The version of MCX file came to mind because of our particular situation. Maybe we're alone on this. The guy who prepares our files for us is usually one version behind because most of our designs are UG files and the UG translator is usually behind. Therefore he creates X files for us. We open them and work on them with X2. Then we go into his office to show him a problem and he can't open our file. So then he opens X2 and views it.

Archiving older libraries are still an issue. Not that it can't be done. It was just so much easier when we had .TL8 and .TL9 files. I suppose you could argue whether it's even necessary to back them up.

Thad

Well Thad I can see why they did that.

It needed to be done even though it is a pain.

I am still a firm believer that people who use Mastercam in their shop should have to pay for it, just like me and you.

If you have to share info to guys who use older versions, you will just have to use a generic translator.

I am glad that all these shops that I had to compete against in the past, are having to pay up or shut up biggrin.gif

quote:

I think Thad is saying that .mcx and .mcx2 would've been preferrable

I can see that...

I can also see how if you are a pirate using illegal copies of Mastercam, it makes it a pita...it wont stop it...

These guys that are quoting against me and using pirated copies, are going to have a harder time bouncing files around. That is all I was saying...

What I was talking about was not being able to view newer files with older versons of X.

Anyways as John pointed out, if you use an up to date version there is no problems, because when you go to open the file, MC tells you it is an old file, and asks you if you want to convert it.

Murlin teh chris teh ball buster tongue.gif

quote:

Unless you remember what year the various versions came out, it's going to be trial and error as we open up older files.

FYI,

In Windows Explorer, right click on an MCX file, select 'Properties' and then 'Descriptor' and you'll see something like this ->

Mastercam VX2 Part File

-----------------------------

quote:

Thanks Jim & Roger,

I have not looked at the properties of a Mastercam file in a long time. It even shows the original import file name!

Ditto!!!

Man that is cool...don't know how I missed all that stuff on the top... IE discriptor bonk.gif

I really like being able to see the original import filename.... cheers.gif