Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RAID

Mark V.

I would not have a "workstation" type of computer with out it!

It has saved my @$$ many a time.

Now if you are on a network that has backup storage, it is redundant. But for stand alone or if all your files are kept local on your computer, my opinion is, YES, you need it. (or I want it)

My last 3 computers have had some form of a raid system - from 5 to 1.

Check out this link -

Raid Listing

(navigation for different levels 0,1,2,... is on the dark bar towards top)

This page lists the advantages and disadvantages of the different level of RAID.

If you do go with a RAID system get 7200rpm drives - makes a big difference, especialy in level 1.

HTH

Later,

Mark

raid has a few different configurations. i think murlin is talking about a 2 hard drive stiped setup that allows data to be stiped accross two drives upon save. this is a faster setup.

other raid configurations allow automatic backup of data in case of drive failure ie if one hard drive fails you can replace it and data can be recovered from the other. this is slower if in a two hard drive configuration. in a 3 hard drive configuration (raid 5) i think you can get good performance as well as fast recover if a drive fails.

we use a usb external drive that backs up nightly. much less expensive. altho the main office server runs raid. depends how important the work station function is and how long you could afford to be down if it fails???

raid mirror is as fast as a single drive as long as the processor is not load up. you just have a complete identical drive. acts like one drive, just have a backup in case of hard drive failure.

Raid striped splits the data across both drives to increase read/write speed. If one goes bad, all data is lost.

You can raid mirror and stripe at the same time, but this requires 4 hard drives.

I built a raid striped once, It pulled up files a lot faster, but in the end it really doesn't save much time in our application vs spending the extra money on processor speed and memory. You really need external backup anyways.

quote:

think murlin is talking about a 2 hard drive stiped setup that allows data to be stiped accross two drives upon save. this is a faster setup.

YEP...I am running RAID 0 at home, I really love it.

It doesn't make Mastercam work better though, once the file is loaded.

You also can do a RAID 1 with 2 HDDS with 2 Primary Partitions.

I always backup my files to my other partition anyways, so I never loose any files anymore, even with RAID 1. That way I have my files on two seperate prtitions.

I guess If I was doing Government work, I would want a RAID 1 setup with redundant drives, but it is not nessessary for what I am doing now.

I have a 10K Raptor single HDD here at work with no RAID and it is smokin'.....

would love to stripe a couple of those babys.....

oops I got RAID 1 and 0 reversed....I am on the striped and that is 0 I think headscratch.gif

Where I raeally see the defference is when I am online gaming. I can download maps twice as fast as the guys not using a Striped Raid..forget about work...I use my puter for important stuff biggrin.gif

****Gives a Tim teh Toolman ******ARRHHH

[ 11-15-2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

RAID 0 increases the load and save speed by as much as 66%. Data is split between the drives so both read and write simultainiously. If one drive dies your data is lost but if you have a single drive die, your data is lost. However two drives don't make it 100% faster. My PC has 2 10,000 RPM drives so it's really fast.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

We've covered RAID here pretty extensively. Just search for RAID. You may have to open up the criteria a bit as far as date but the information is still good. Adaptec is WAY better than Promise though. I will say that.