Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

More performance issues / regen times / new build

Chris Rizzo

Brief history:

i7 920, 10k 150gb raptor, 6gb 2000

Clean install of ONLY win 7 64bit. Then load programs one at a time and re-test:

x4, benchmark 1 min

mu1, benchmark 1+ min

mu2 (betas). benchmark 1+min

Install AVG. Benchmark still 1+ min

Install Firefox. Benchmark still 1+ min.

About 35gb or so being taken up on hard drive at this point.

Program and run the pc hard, as-is, for a good 5 days. Benchmark still 1 min.

Add about 20gb of My Documents. Benchmark now 2+min! Defrag, etc. no help. WTF happened to my regen times? about 90gb still free of 150 Didn't change anything else (that I know of). Windows indexing do something maybe? ideas? Blowing oil by the rings? I'm down 50% hp on my new hot rod. frown.gif

quote:

i7... Hotrod...

Alert Smack Attack....err...

headscratch.gif

MAC attack... rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

quote:

Add about 20gb of My Documents.

But on the topic at hand,

I noticed that when I copied my old files IE my documents folders from my old HDD on to my new drive, XP performance went down.

headscratch.gif

Dunno if it had to with some old registry keys that got copied cause while watching the file move I did notice those keys being copied. I copied about 16 gig of old My documents files myself.

Now I seem to have slight lag when opening up IE7 and opening up Explorer... headscratch.gif

hey the i7 is a hot rod to me, compared to my ole vic 20. should have seen the regen times on that. biggrin.gif

That's interesting Murlin. We both moved about the same amount of data. My my doc's doesn't have anything other than work file and pictures though. I don't have any favorites, windows files or cross-link stuff in there. It's pretty clean, with the idea of avoiding situations like this (false assumption there it seems).