Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

g54.2 question

I have 2 variaxis 730's with matrix controllors, and I use g54.2 all the time. We always try to have A and C at home during our setup, but sometimes this is not possible. I had an operator setup a tube like parallel with the Z axis and we used A and C to make it vertical. He had entered all the numbers into his g10 line correctly to set his dynamic offset. The program indexes to A-90. and C0. calls g54.2 and drills six radial holes in the part that are perpindicular to the centerline of the part. The initial hole is correct, but as the C indexes to the next hole only X, Y, and Z are adjusted to maintain position. A stays at the same angle and it has to adjust to stay perpendicular. I cannot count how many time we have done this and it worked properly. Am I missing something here. Anyone else seen anything like this.

thanks in advance.

The limitation I have come up against with using G54.2 in a 5 axis machine with Fanuc controllers is that it only compensates for an offset of the program origin from the rotation center of the C-axis, it doesn’t compensate for an angular displacement for the table surface- IE if a part doesn’t sit square on a fixture.Lets say your guy had to put the A-Axis out minus 2 degrees at C0 for the part to dial in. Rotate to C180, and now your A would have to be positive 2 degrees for the part to dial in. I am not sure about Mazak's flavor of G54.2...tho I can say that Fanuc will not do this. They do have yet another option, G54.4, which does