Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T....Can You Believe This!!!!!

RStuart

The shop I work at the softest material we machine is 300 series stainless. Then we get into super alloys such as Hastalloy, AL6XN, inconel and titanium. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is successfully maching C-276 Hastalloy and willing to share. We do it well. Anyone willing to swap tips?

Some suggestions for improved tool life is distributed wear.

Follow the program below for a facing operation.

G00 X10.Z-0.05 (START BEHIND)

G01 X-.031 Z0. (CUT SLIGHT TAPER TO Z0)

G00 Z.05

X10.

Z-.05 (POSITION TO DEPTH OF 1ST CUT)

G01 X-.031 (CLEAN UP TO COMPLETE CUT)

CONTINUE ALONG...

This will allow the depth of cut to continuously change up and down the cutting edge therby preventing notching at the DOC. Mastercam will not do this and you will have to edit the crap out of the program - or write it by hand.

Andrew

The ceramic insert guys really dig that type of thing to avoid DOC notches on their inserts in turning; make one turning pass tapering up in Z, then the next pass straight (effectively increasing DOC as you go) but it is a royal pain in the butt to do it.

New for MC V10?

C

rstuart,

quote:

Is anyone doing any better than I posted previously?

The dude who purchases our tools/inserts just came back from a Iscar show out in Las Vegas.

He saw this very tool that you are describing in action,and couldn't believe it.

He tells me that he will have one in for me to try out on the floor next week.

This should go over real good!

(guys with no overtime,now me to speed up their jobs with new and improved tooling) rolleyes.gif

OOH WELL....Someone has to be the BAD Guy. biggrin.gif

I work for a shop for 11 years that 50% of or parts were made from C-276. We used Sandvick inserts to do the turning. I use Sandvick and Iscar to do the inserted milling. I use cobalt drills for the small holes and circular interpolation for larger holes. Milling was around 150 SFM and turning up to 350 SFM. Tapping we used OSG. But there is another thread here on tapping hast. They used Emug taps a spoke quite highly of them.

On a side story, after I had worked for this shop a few years, I was made shop supervisor. One of the first things I did was find out who made C-276 and call them. I believe it was Carpenter. I talked to their shop lead and asked him what he used to do their machining. Basically, he was doing the same thing we were doing. He is still testing new tools as they came out and run every thing slow.

Running every thing comparatively so slow took me some time to get used too.

quote:

New for MC V10?

Not likely, software guys are not really interested in what has to happen in the real world, Again, it is how we can work outside of the bounds of the CPU box that will set us apart from the other guys who just buy technology off the shelf at Walmart - Or the guys that pirate it from their computer labs at school.

Marc Lindsey at San Diego what grade of sandvik insert are you using? We tried Sandwich and didn't have much luck with it. We are currently using a CNMG432-TH AH120 from Toshiba Tungaloy. They work pretty well and they are inexpensive. When your running at 350sfm, what is your feed and d.o.c.? Like I have said before we run at 160sfm, .006" feed/rev and .150"d.o.c.

I just ran this tool in Mild Steel, 8620 shaft - 7.4"diameter and 66.5" Long. 720Sfm, .15 Radial DOC .042ipr (with the 0 degree lead tool) and man did this thing work well. The chips needed a little more DOC to make them curl and break, but the finish was good for a roughing cut and the part was straight along the 60" length within .001" - Unbelievable... I am going to up the doc and report back!

If you guys are nice, I'll post an MPEG...