Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I have a small machining dilema

Kevin McGrade

Here is my dilema,

I have to machine a part 11" x 11" x 3/8" thick out of some 12" x 12" x 3/8" aluminum(T-6061).

There are some holes going through the part but there is some countersinks needed on one side and counterbores on the other.

I am need of a way to set this up in as simple and fast of a process as I can come up with. What is killing me is the machining of all 4 sides. I want to use a subplate instead of vices due to the size.

The only way I can come up with is using clamps on 2 sides then flipping the part clamping next to the already machined sides completing the other two.

I know this may be complicated to understand with my explanation but I figured what the hell I will se what you would do.

SO what would YOU do?

Thanks guys

Kevin,

More info needed... You are showing 11 x 11. Is that a scale size or a mic size? 1 part or multiple parts? Can the machine fit more than 1 part on it if you need to make alot of these? What kind of finish is it calling for on the perimeter? Can you get away with just cutting 2 sides and calling the other 2 finish as they are? Let us know.

Greg

Kevin- Perhaps you could set it up on a riser and get a backchamfer tool for the countersinks and mill the counter bores from the top side? We have done this with a Parlec tool, I think there are several others though. Start with clamps on 2 edges, mill opposing 2, drill/mill all details. M00, change clamps to milled edges and final machine 2 remaining edges. Or have a manual op to counter sink backside holes while running the first op ??

just a thought

Jeremiah

quote:

Kevin,

More info needed... You are showing 11 x 11. Is that a scale size or a mic size? 1 part or multiple parts? Can the machine fit more than 1 part on it if you need to make alot of these? What kind of finish is it calling for on the perimeter? Can you get away with just cutting 2 sides and calling the other 2 finish as they are? Let us know.

Greg

11.00 x 11.00 is what the part needs to be finished at Greg and there is no finish callout but I do need to machine all 4 sides due to the stock being ordered by a moron who owns the company smile.gif

I have about 400 of these puppies to run, as for loading more than one part in the machine that is a possibilty that I am looking into. I was thnking maybe doing one side on the left of the subplate and the opposite side on the right of the subplate.

I was hoping to come up with something a little better though

frown.gif

quote:

Is there any way you can clamp down on all 4 sides. Drill the holes. Use the holes to put bolts or socket head cap screws in to hold down the part and machine the outside. That is how I have done it in the past.

Hope this helps in some way.

I have done this also with another company but the quality of help I have at this new company is terrible. I would give the guy 3 pieces and he would forget to remove the clamps and whamo!!

Kevin,

Personally, I would set up 2 vises with stops on the side to set the part if the quality of help is that bad. I'd just drill and countersink, on all the parts, 2 at a time all the first side. Then i'd set up a subplate and bolt them down with a washer in between the bolt head and the face to protect the surface. Drill, counterbore and perimeter all of them. Done. Just my opinion.

Beer o'clock, cheers.gif

Greg