Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Minimill Spindle Belt

JAMMAN

Spindle on the mini was making a little noise, took the cover off and the belt is tracking toward the top, hitting the lip on the motor pulley and making a noise.

Looks like the motor is on 4 rubber mounts, and the front 2 have a set screw through the side. I imagine loosen the set screws and adjust the front 2 mounts Is this how to get the belt to track in the middle or am I missing something obvious?

Looks like you might be right, we can fool it into tracking up or down with shims but it "wants" to stay at the top or the bottom.

Why is the belt half the width of the pulley, and why didn't they do like the Fadal does and use radial ribs instead of a timing belt? I mean I see the logic in timing belts, but at 3 inches wide a crash that causes the Fadal to go out of time would certainly warrant stopping the program and replacing something.

I'll probably use it like that till it snaps the belt then get a set of pulleys and 2 belts.

Thanks for the input!

the reason for the timing belt is because theres no encoder on the spindle cartridge, only on the spindle motor, so without cogs there would be no sure way to orient the spindle or synchronize rigid tapping

if its on rubber mounts make sure they are not rotten from oil and coolant causing the motor to sit crooked, usually cogs dont go bad, (unless there is debris getting inbetween the belt and cog ) so check them with a mic before you get new ones or you could be wasting your money

also a bearing going bad could cause belt tracking issues as well