Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4+1 Axis programming in MX9

PAnderson

Hello All,

I have a question on a 4+1 machine. I think this may apply to a full 5 axis also, and a 3+2 machine. Right now I have a part that has a shallow pocket wrapping itself half way around a cylinder. I am doing a Swarf operation and set up a WCS that would position the "A" axis at -90 degrees. I want to keep it there and use X, Y, Z and C. But this pertains to ANY 4 axis being in motion at one time, so it could be any combination. Question: How would one go about locking any given axis such as "A". When I post this operation I get all 5 axis' moving. "A" moves minutely +- fractions of a degree. I want to lock "A". But the answer to this should encompass locking any one axis so that I can truly use this as a 4+1 process.

I am kind of new to 5 axis and these are some of the fine points that are tripping me up at the moment. Much appreciation in advance and I hope someone will chimes in.

Regards,

Paul

That feature is thoroughly hacked together.....until you can get some clean geometry to cut, anything you do is going to be kind of funky

1 end intersects at the bottom and isn't connected at the top, the other end is similar

I'll play with it more later if I get the time to try to clean it up

Thanks everybody, seriously. Like I said, I am new to 5 axis. Been doing milling and Swiss for almost 40 years. I have worked around 5 axis machine, just never had to program them. I can visualize what I want to do but getting Mastercam to do it is another matter. My real concern is getting this to eliminate 1 axis. I guess there are many, many scenarios where this would happen, getting Mastercam OR my post to do it is another matter. I work for a machine tool builder but getting formal training is a non-starter. So I am left to figure this out myself.

JParis, thanks for your help.

Ron, I will try what you suggest. I tried the old Swarf, didn't know it was the "old" one.

MIL-TFP-41, I don't know your name but thanks. If I change my rotary setting, that will change all the ops, won't it?

paul

I was referring to limiting your rotary angles in the operation. You will have to play with it...

Got it! This worked beautifully in 5 Axis Curve. Swarf does not have that setting. That's OK though, I was able to get a roughing and finish cut with this. Tightened up my cut tolerance and used To Point for axis control and posted. Y axis, Z axis and C axis only. Sweet.

Thanks again,

Paul