Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing Large Amount of Material

G Caputo

Hi all,

I uploaded a file into the FTP, in the Mc9 folder. It is called 446917-A.MC9. It is a fairly large part that is going to be made out of a solid piece of steel. Due to the time constraints, we don't have time to get a casting, but if 1 of our vendors can burn 2' thick it will come as a burnout. The stock size is 45" x 16" x 24". It is the bottom half of a bearing block. I believe the material is A36 steel. We are to make 2 of them. (2 bottoms and 2 caps).

The particular area of concern for me is the area where this gets bolted down at (by the rib). I am looking for different ideas to learn for roughing to improve things over here, not necessarily the programming, but the tooling that would remove the most cubic feet of material in the shortest time given the depths involved of the tooling to machine this. I am looking for any ideas for how to do this quickly and efficiently.

This part will be made on one of our horizontals with a rotary table and the option of finishing the half bore and faces there, or moving it to a VTL. We also have to make the cap for this part, but the bore is 1" in diameter smaller, and because of the bore centerlines cannot be be bolted together and bored. The tops can, but not the bottoms. Any ideas on this?

1) I am interested in what type of cutters would work that you folks are getting the most materail removal with. (speeds, feeds, length of cut being the biggest issue, etc)

2) In what way would you go about approaching roughing this out? (what set ups, how many, etc)

Anyone that has time to take a look and offer any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

Well ,without looking on the file too and may be `ll have no time 2 do it tommorow I would say

Rough it with insert mill round inserts Like Seco or Iscar .

For little machines like mine Seco dia 40 4 round inserts dia 12 or 25 dia 2 round inserts insert mill is a kicka&&.

Rocks all over others.

For my previous place machine With gear drive and taper50 I would take 100 mm inserts 16 .

This damn thing is very productive !

Thanks for the replys so far. I am talking about roughing an area 8" x 7" x 12" deep. My problems are arising from the depths I have to cut. I am used to a 5" face mill 1/4" depth of cuts. This won't happen at these depths. I am looking for any ideas thrown out there, especially pertaining to big depths with long tools.

Thanks,

Greg

Hello,

I can't look at your file, I am still on V8, but I would suggest that you plunge mill all that you can. Sandvik makes some great plunge milling cutters with large tool diameters available. This what we do here to remove some material really fast.

Just my opinion.

2 weeks before I made a job I was milling vertical walls 240 mm deep pocket .

Teh tool I used on the depth was Seco 35 mm3 round inserts 12 mm insert head with a thread end and a self-made toolholder

I worked with take -off 0.5 mm S2200 f1800 mm/min

Naturally I used it only on maximum depthes and blow faSTER AS MUCH AS i COULD WITH SHORTER TOOLS

HTH